On the 5th Day of Christmas, there was a Black Forest Cake. If you could check my Instagram DMs, I get asked for this recipe more times a week than expected. I have been requested and begged for it and although it was planned for to be posted eventually, I caved sooner than I had expected. Probably because the Christmas Spirit was in me!
I kid you not when I say the Pradip cocoa powder bring this Black Forest to life so quickly, considering how little cocoa powder is actually required to make it. All you need is 1/3 cup of cocoa for a kilo of cake and this makes the cake quite rich. You can, however, use 1/2 cup Pradip cocoa powder and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, (instead of 2/3 flour) to make it even richer.
Ingredients – makes an 8″ cake or 1kg cake
For the cake
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup Pradip cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Pradip baking powder
- Simple Syrup
For filling, deco and garnishing
- Dark chocolate for garnishing
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Strawberries or cherries
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Grease and line baking sheet with greaseproof paper
- Sift the flour cocoa and baking powder together and set aside.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Place the egg whites in a large bowl and the yolks in a smaller bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites until fluffy and stiff peaks form. Use a metal spoon to test if ready by scooping the whites and turning the spoon upside down. If the eggs don’t fall, it’s ready.
- Add the yolks and whisk thoroughly
- Add the sugar and whisk thoroughly
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time using the folding in method to ensure a lot of air is in the cake batter.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake for 40 minutes or until knife test is clean
- Once ready set it aside to cool for 1hr before decorating
- When cake is cool whisk the whipping cream until stiff peaks.
- Cut the cake into two or three layers and moisten each layer with the juice until the cakes are well moistened.
- Pour some whipped cream onto one layer and smoothen it. Then place some chopped strawberries on top.
- Then place the other layer and decorate with remaining whipped cream. Use the dark chocolate to garnish and place some of the strawberries to finish up the look
Serve & Enjoy!